This recipe can be used to make either one large onion tart or six small onion tarts. This recipe isn’t the simplest thing to cook and the cooking time is quite high but if done right it is absolutely delicious.
Serves: 6 – 8
Preparation Time: 45 Minutes, plus cooling time
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking utensils you will need:
- 25 Cm / 10 Inch flat tin or rectangular baking dish
- Baking sheet
- Cooks Knife
- Chopping Board
Ingredients you will need:
- 225 grams / 8 Oz of plain flour, or half wholemeal flour and half plain flour
- 1 Half Tablespoon of salt
- 115 grams / 4 Oz butter
- 4 Tablespoons lard or vegetable shortening
- 1 egg yolk
- Cold water for mixing
- 675 grams / 1 half lb of peeled and thinly sliced onions
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 egg yolk. Mixed and beaten well
- 225 ml / 8 fl Oz of double cream
Once you’ve got together all the ingredients and equipment listed above your ready to start cooking.
- Step 1: Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and gently rub in half of the butter and all the lard until the mixture begins to look like breadcrumbs.
- Step 2: Stir in the egg yolk and sprinkle in enough cold water to form a soft dough. Wrap in cling film and allow to rest in the refrigerator for 1 – 2 hours depending on the rating of your refrigerator.
- Step 3: Roll out the dough to form a circle or rectangle, depending on the shape of your dish. It should be large enough to line it neatly. Carefully line the dish without stretching the pastry, trim around the edges and allow to rest in the refrigerator again for 1 hour.
- Step 4: Melt the remaining butter with the oil in a large heavy pan over a medium heat and add the onions. Stir until they are well coated and cook making sure to cover for about 30 minutes or until they are soft and lightly golden brown.
- Step 5: Season well and add a good grating of nutmeg. Allow to cool for a short amount of time.
- Step 6: Preheat oven to 200 degrees C / 400 F / Gas Mark 6. Stir the 3 egg yolks and cream in to the onion mixture. Pour the filling into the prepared pastry case and bake in the centre of the preheated oven on a heated baking sheet for 30 minutes.
- Step 7: Remove from the oven and serve hot of cool for the best flavour.
This is a lovely recipe if done correctly. Enjoy.